Friday, October 12, 2018

texting as a learning tool


I am charged with teaching the ancient Indian Manusmriti, the Laws of Manu handed down sometime around 200 bce. These laws helped solidify patriarchy and the caste system of Hindu society. I can always provoke a bit of outrage in my students as they read the laws from primary source, but it's, well.... let's say it can be dry. 

To spice up this lesson, I wanted my students to engage more actively with the laws. It is easy for them to express enlightened disgust at the servile status of women that these laws imposed. I wanted them to try to see what the writer of these laws was attempting to accomplish as he set these laws in place. I wanted them to be able to criticize and defend. To contextualize. To understand the concept of dharma and its place in samsara.

I think the activity moved the depth of thinking from DOK-1 to DOK-2 and -3 as it forced kids to take a different perspective. "How could you?" "And what is the reason?" are practically embedded into the lesson. It forces students to do a bit of research and to contextualize the lesson. They also had fun doing it- and engaging kids is always half the battle. Several kids asked, "Can we do this again?" A victory! This is dry stuff for many 15 year olds.  

After reading the laws and having a preliminary discussion about them, I asked the students to use this SMS composer tool to create a text exchange between themselves and Manu- the ruler to whom these laws are, by custom, attributed. They composed text exchanges and then shared these exchanges on this Padlet wall. 

Students worked in pairs on this activity. 


Made with Padlet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Prezi Video

 Remember Prezi? Once upon a time it was all rage for students. I see very few students use this tool any longer. Prezi is back, though, wit...