Tuesday, November 14, 2017

One Size Doesn't FIt All

'Differentiation is not a set of strategies, but rather a way of thinking about teaching & learning.' -Carol Tomlinson

One Size Fits All? 
When I was in 1st grade 40 years ago(!), I remember being put into math groups and reading groups. Despite never being explicitly told, we knew right away that some groups moved more quickly than other groups. We knew who was "smarter".

Isn't this differentiation? All kids were not doing the same thing. I remember three distinct groups in my elementary school class of 34 students. Was Sister Phillip Mary using differentiated instruction? Is this what Tomlinson wants us to do?

In a word, no. But having students work in groups can indeed be part of a differentiated classroom.

Vitgotsky tells us (c'mon ed-geeks, remember him?) that there is a zone of proximal development for every student. A Goldilocks zone where things aren't too hard- but are challenging enough, just above a student's ability level. Obviously, this place isn't the same for every student.

Giving choice in text- varied by reading level, choice in the assignment, and choice in learning method- all are means towards differentiation. But Tomlinson is right, it ultimately isn't a technique. It is a way of thinking. If I'm stuck in a "coverage" model, I will never really differentiate my instruction.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Prezi Video

 Remember Prezi? Once upon a time it was all rage for students. I see very few students use this tool any longer. Prezi is back, though, wit...