Sunday, January 21, 2018

Pecha Kucha


Pecha Kucha.  ペチャクチャ 

I had a super night this past Thursday. I hosted a session of Pecha Kucha with my students. I made it a big deal, inviting parents, getting food, holding it in the evening. To model risk-taking and to let my students know we're in this together, I did one too.

So what is a Pecha Kucha? Its literal meaning is "chit chat." It is also the name of a presentation format invented in 2003 by Japanese architects. They decided they talked too much. So, to limit presentations to the essential, they developed a presentation format which limited the presenter to 20 slides and 20 seconds for each slide. Clocking in at 6:40, the Pecha Kucha demands precision and keeps an evening of presentations fast paced.

This is not my class, but it looked much like this. 
I presented one too. I think I did quite well if I say so myself. Why'd I do it? I think it is good for a teacher to experience what we are asking kids to do. It's been about 15 years since I've had to write a paper for a grade or take a test, but at least I've done them. I've never had to give a pecha kucha before; it seemed right for me to know what I was asking my students to do. More importantly, I think it shows the students I'm a part of the community of learners. Most importantly, it helps me remember what it is like to be a student.

I was nervous Thursday night. I put myself on the line in front of my students and their parents. I talk in front of people for a living, so I probably wasn't as nervous as my students. Nevertheless, I was nervous.  We sometimes too easily dismiss the complaints and concerns of kids because we don't experience what we ask them to do.

On the whole, my students gave very fine presentations. Some were outstanding. Most were very good. None were bad. There were poised, articulate, and oh so grown up.

Looking for other reasons to do a PK? Here's a few:
1) Students play expert.
2) Students present to an authentic audience.
3) Students have to think about using tech to support their words. I spend some time teaching what makes a good slide presentation.
4) Students have to speak in public
5) A PK session creates a community of learning.

The students pecha kucha'd (I just made a verb) on their 20% time projects which I've written about in previous posts. Their presentations did their projects justice. I had the students do all of this work in lieu of a mid-year pen and paper exam. I think and hope that they learned as much or more from this process.

I left Thursday evening as proud of my students as I have ever been in all my years teaching. It was a deeply validating experience for them and for me.

My one regret is that I didn't film them! I could share slides. But without the narrative, the slides are little more than pretty pictures and maps. Next year, that's a next step.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Prezi Video

 Remember Prezi? Once upon a time it was all rage for students. I see very few students use this tool any longer. Prezi is back, though, wit...