Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Nick Foles

Failure vs Encouraging risk-taking
Rewards and Punishment
Achievement and Learning
Success and Failure

I've written about all of these topics in the three years I've been writing this blog. I've written about how our grading system inhibits risk-taking. I've mentioned Alfie Kohn's research that we "punish" as we reward. I've talked about how we confuse learning with academic achievement.  

After the Super Bowl, a reporter asked Foles what he learned from his experiences over the past four years.

Far from offering the usual cliches and platitudes, he spoke honestly and thoughtfully. It made me pause and think about how I teach kids and teach my own kids.

He started by saying, "I think the big thing is don't be afraid to fail." If you've not seen it, watch.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Prezi Video

 Remember Prezi? Once upon a time it was all rage for students. I see very few students use this tool any longer. Prezi is back, though, wit...