Thursday, February 16, 2017

Fear or Faith/ 27th Psalm

There's so much to be worried about. Personally, professionally, politically, economically, financially, and globally these worries could consume me if I let them. For instance, my school is going through a real rough patch. We are in news nationally around a recent decision made by school's leadership. My colleagues are scared, angry, worried and nervous.

When people ask me, "How are you?" I don't want to insult them by saying, "I'm doing well." So I don't say that, I say I'm okay. I'm not dismissing their worries. My point is that I try hard to dismiss MY WORRIES! I've come to learn to let go what I can't control. It's a choice I'm able to make sometimes and the more I practice it the better I get at it. It is something I work on all the time. For instance I still have 4 and a half college tuitions to pay for. I have no idea how I will pay for it if my kids don't get a healthy amount of financial aid. I've saved as much as I'm going to be able to save. Worrying about it will make no difference.

I've had and I am having a harder time with the political situation in the United States right now. But again, beyond donating to a few causes I care about and getting involved in local politics, I can't change much. And worrying won't change it. Lincoln said- and I paraphrase- "Most people are about as happy as they make there minds up to be." He's so right. That's my point.

This is also how to approach teaching and learning and trying new things and being willing to fail. I'm a very religious person. I don't wear that faith publicly. But the 27th psalm is something I try to live by. In the time of trouble, whom shall I fear? Nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Prezi Video

 Remember Prezi? Once upon a time it was all rage for students. I see very few students use this tool any longer. Prezi is back, though, wit...