Thursday, March 21, 2019

Flipping for Flipgrid

More and more I'm appreciating the flexibility of the flipgrid tool. I've used thus far in a couple of different ways. The way I usually use it is as a simple exit ticket. However, may favorite way to use it is to break down the 4th wall of the classroom and use it to extend the class conversation beyond the classroom walls. It's really cool to have kids having a recorded back and forth between each other on a class topic. The final way I use Flipgrid is what I call video journals. I ask students to reflect on their learning in a longer form answer. I like the informality and the thoughtfulness it promotes. Sometimes learners are more comfortable explaining themselves in less formal ways. Sometimes formal writing in particular robs students of their voice. Please don't think I'm dismissing the importance of formal writing. But some students view it almost as a paint by numbers experience... that it needs to be "exactly so". And thus they are so worried about it being exactly so that their voice is essentially removed.

If one wants to add "rigor" to Flipgrid, there is a built in simple rubric. But I don't use it.


It's a really nice cross platform tool (it's an iPad app and web-based on a computer) to have in my quiver. I am not going to share examples from my class as I haven't sought my students' permission to post them. But check out this video from the always excellent Richard Byrne on how to use Flipgrid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Prezi Video

 Remember Prezi? Once upon a time it was all rage for students. I see very few students use this tool any longer. Prezi is back, though, wit...