Thursday, March 21, 2019

Starpower

I played Starpower with my students this past week to kick off my unit on Revolutions. This game, developed in 1969, has players trade assets in a quickly stratifying society. Though equal at the start, within a few rounds those with wealth almost invariably change the rules to their benefit. I have had students play this game over 40 times and it is always fascinating to see the behavior of students in a system that naturally stratifies them economically and, as a result, politically.  Over the last two days, history repeated itself as those who seized power from the elites made rules that cemented their newly elite status.  Power indeed corrupts.

As engaging as the game play is, it is the follow-up conversation/ de-briefing where the learning occurs. Here's my slidedeck I used to explain the game and debrief the game. 
I bought this game years and years ago. It isn't cheap. But it's a great go back to year after year. And it's never failed to promote great discussion. I've played this game with 5th, 8th and 9th graders and presented it once at a conference with adults. It's always worked. 

 I also will refer back to the game as we launch into our study of the American, French and Haitian revolutions. The parallels in the game to these revolutions are striking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Prezi Video

 Remember Prezi? Once upon a time it was all rage for students. I see very few students use this tool any longer. Prezi is back, though, wit...